Skip to main content

God Save the Queen

I'm an arsonist at heart. I light fires tentatively, with much trepidation and little tolerance for heat. I shy away from the ensuing flame, and usually panic when it reaches my hand. I've only let a matchstick burn to my fingertips once, and that was just to find out how it felt. But I'm an arsonist at heart.

I look at the oil slick, curving its way from the car. Its bends are lazy, pronounced. Like a section of a river that flows slowly over the ground, knowing its reduced speed, almost enjoying it. The slick is thick in clusters, where the bubbles inside the oil almost threaten to burst. The oil dries away before it reaches me, its riverbank a small lump of gravel that the oil bubbles collect against, rising in number, like a protest that goes on eternally. I just stare at the oil. It looks so inviting, so delicious. A matchstick might be enough, a box of matchsticks better. A lit up Zippo might have been perfect.

I'm scared of flames. I've sprayed deodorant at candles, to see the flame rush forwards. I've burnt matchboxes on gas ovens, just to see the low, glossy green flame. The only flame I've managed to conquer my fear over is the little candle flame that you pass your fingers through. But I'm an arsonist. I'd like to set fire to that stick of dynamite, just to hear what it does, see what it blows. Somewhere, I can hear Johnny Rotten laughing.

Comments

sports freak said…
could it be that your desire to light up something else spills over into all things flammable... ? maybe you're actually a chain smoker at heart.. and the unsatisfied urge to light up a ciggarette is transferred into an urge to burn something else...
Batool said…
Remember the time I was afraid I'd blown up St. Pats?

I think you love the melodrama, the bigness of it.

That's so like little children daring each other to play with fire while being scared of it at the same time. I'm no arsonist but I cut out this picture from a newspaper once - a man self-immolating. I used to obsess over it and fantasize about it - what would it be like to actually burn yourself, how would it feel? I still have the cutting.

I love the descriptions, all of them, you've built the piece so well, mashAllah. The 'I'm an arsonist at heart' repetition makes it sound slightly paranoid. Remember
that Edgar Allen Poe tale which starts off with the man asserting he is not mad and then trying to prove it at each turn of the story? That's what it reminds me of. It's very effective.

Why won't you write more often? You really should - it's not just a talent, it's a responsibility.
decaf said…
polly: yeah, haha :)

sports freak: no, I don't think that's the case. It's more the flame that is interesting, specially the little core you get if there's no wind and a small concentrate of material. It's what attracted me to flames in the first place.

pokerface: you're right about the repetition, that is what I meant to do. Slightly paranoid and trying to convince otherwise. But I don't think I like the bigness of fire. I just like the way it glows, on and on, if you keep staring at it. I love candles, oven flames, grills. I hate fires. They're so . . orange and ugly. It's the non-luminous flames I love.
Batool said…
nice sidebar :)
atrophying said…
why dont you get yourself a bunsen burner?

Popular posts from this blog

Light the sky and hold on tight the world is burning down I don't post lyrics as a rule, but this just came at the right time.

On Home

A few months ago, I was sitting on one of the small stools in the kitchen, the ones that make you feel like a little child again, waiting for the water to boil. I was making tea for my dad and thought how cool a feeling that was, to be home again, doing home-things in a warm kitchen where everything was as familiar as it was leisurely. But later, in a different city, in a place just called home, a place that I have to remember by numbers - fourth right turn, third house on the left - a place I have to recognize by signboards and which I sometimes pass over in the dark because I miss the gate, a place where almost-strangers let you in when you ring the bell; I waited the same wait, standing and waiting for the water in a newer pateeli . It wasn't warm at all; it was just a cheerless, empty, disconsolate feeling. It made me feel low to even think of another place as home. Eating in alien plates, drinking in alien glasses. I never learnt to memorize the house number or the telephone n
National Geographic's "The Photographs" had a picture of forked lightning that was titled "Nature's Most Spectacular Special Effect". Their picture must have had 15 forks and this one has only one. It's even blurry. But I took it and it feels like the first time I've 'captured' something, and so it's here.