Skip to main content

We're all all right

You know, when things go wrong everyone finds their own reason. Not an explanation - that's the logical thisishowithappened and thisiswhyithappened. The reason, the illogical, unprovable, but significant happening(s) that we thinked caused something to go wrong. "This wouldn't have happened if I hadn't been so . . " and "I'm sure it's retribution for . . ". None of it is sure to be true, but more importantly, none of it is ever false. Everybody feels there's a reason that it went wrong, and we're all convinced that our slight was important. And see, none of us ever believe that it wouldn't have happened without our reason. It would have. But our reason is why we deserve it, why we're not lowlifes or criminals but just people who've lost our way, people who made a mistake and are being punished.

God humbles us all, sometimes quickly, sometimes late and sometimes very very late. Feeling helpless (meeting people . . ) is easy. Being humbled is harder, and sometimes it just happens to you. Our reasons humble. Our reasons sometimes make us a little less sad, give us hope that correcting ourselves (and then some) will show God that we are humbled, that we have learnt. Being humbled makes the petty things easy, the harder things easier. God bless us all.

Comments

Batool said…
Stay strong, Hasan. My prayers are with you all.
Xeb said…
Whats wrong? I should stay in touch more often! :(
I shall call you...
Anonymous said…
At times things hurt so bad you just don't want to reason.....you become numb to it and stare at your own life as it was someone else going through it.....so that you wouldn't question your ownself......

Popular posts from this blog

Light the sky and hold on tight the world is burning down I don't post lyrics as a rule, but this just came at the right time.

On Home

A few months ago, I was sitting on one of the small stools in the kitchen, the ones that make you feel like a little child again, waiting for the water to boil. I was making tea for my dad and thought how cool a feeling that was, to be home again, doing home-things in a warm kitchen where everything was as familiar as it was leisurely. But later, in a different city, in a place just called home, a place that I have to remember by numbers - fourth right turn, third house on the left - a place I have to recognize by signboards and which I sometimes pass over in the dark because I miss the gate, a place where almost-strangers let you in when you ring the bell; I waited the same wait, standing and waiting for the water in a newer pateeli . It wasn't warm at all; it was just a cheerless, empty, disconsolate feeling. It made me feel low to even think of another place as home. Eating in alien plates, drinking in alien glasses. I never learnt to memorize the house number or the telephone n
National Geographic's "The Photographs" had a picture of forked lightning that was titled "Nature's Most Spectacular Special Effect". Their picture must have had 15 forks and this one has only one. It's even blurry. But I took it and it feels like the first time I've 'captured' something, and so it's here.