Skip to main content

one year, two years, another year?

The Law school just started, and they're making a new school of Physics and Engineering and what not. They're having such a difficult time trying to fit 3000 people in here that they've overlooked the most fundamental issue: the bloody name of the university!

Pokerface (staring at the logo on the cover of her Contemporary Philosophy pack): Why is it still called the Lahore University of Management Sciences? They're going to have, what, Physics, and Chemistry, and (quizzical look) Biology?

Decaf (shaking head): No, not biology. But yeah, all those other things.

Pokerface: Well, where's management in that?

Decaf: There isn't.

PF: Well, what're they going to call it? LUS? Lahore University of Sciences? LUDS? Lahore University of Different Sciences?

Decaf just sits there thinking while PF goes through LUAS (Lahore University of All kinds of Sciences), trying to save good ol' LUMS with (the ingenious) Lahore University of Many Sciences, or even . . . . . .

(random snatch of conversation overheard in the middle)

Act I, Scene I: Near empty lab 1 with six, maybe 7 people.

Phone rings. (ring, ring!) Wait, actually it went "Kajra re, kajra re!" in full polyphonic grandeur. The marvels we have now!

Girl: What's your problem?
Girl: (louder): What's your problem?

(some simpering mixed with static. What I wouldn't give to have heard that answer :) )

Girl (again!): I'm in the lab, where else? For the last (looks at PC clock) 32 + 5 . . . (long pause) . . 37 minutes!

Girl puts down phone.

PF and Decaf laugh like crazy.

(and now, back to saving LUMS!)

. . . . . . ..

Act I, Scene III. This is an existential play. It never had a scene II. Good ol' Hima, she was funny, I'll give you that.

Decaf: How about . . . how about . . . Lahore University of Management and Pure Sciences?

PF stares at me for a second. Then we both burst out laughing. LUMPS.

LUMPS! Bachon ko batayain gey, beta, we studied in lumps. One year, then two years, then another year.

Man, I had a similar conversation in freshie year with Xeb and Saad and all we ever got to was Lahore University of Matrimonial Sciences. How we've (not!) grown :)

Comments

inspirex said…
they're starting all that?
they should really re-think the name in that case!

btw...we have a science university in karachi that teaches all.....so kinda make sense....
Reeny said…
My family in Amreeka can never get the name right. My cousin thought it was LUMPS, LEGS or LUNGS and that I was doing med.
Anonymous said…
interestingly enough, we (i.e group of friends) call it lumps and ourselves lumpies- have done it for years :) barri maar khayi, you see. hehe.

Popular posts from this blog

Light the sky and hold on tight the world is burning down I don't post lyrics as a rule, but this just came at the right time.

On Home

A few months ago, I was sitting on one of the small stools in the kitchen, the ones that make you feel like a little child again, waiting for the water to boil. I was making tea for my dad and thought how cool a feeling that was, to be home again, doing home-things in a warm kitchen where everything was as familiar as it was leisurely. But later, in a different city, in a place just called home, a place that I have to remember by numbers - fourth right turn, third house on the left - a place I have to recognize by signboards and which I sometimes pass over in the dark because I miss the gate, a place where almost-strangers let you in when you ring the bell; I waited the same wait, standing and waiting for the water in a newer pateeli . It wasn't warm at all; it was just a cheerless, empty, disconsolate feeling. It made me feel low to even think of another place as home. Eating in alien plates, drinking in alien glasses. I never learnt to memorize the house number or the telephone n
National Geographic's "The Photographs" had a picture of forked lightning that was titled "Nature's Most Spectacular Special Effect". Their picture must have had 15 forks and this one has only one. It's even blurry. But I took it and it feels like the first time I've 'captured' something, and so it's here.